Bill regarding giving 10% reservation to people of general category passed in Lok Sabha.
A bill introduced for giving 10 percent reservation to economically backward people of general category has been passed in the Lok Sabha.
After a discussion of about five hours, the vote on the bill was voted. 323 votes were cast in support whereas only 3 votes were cast in opposition.
The Union Social Justice and Co-operation Minister Thavarchand Gehlot presented a bill related to it in the Lok Sabha.
Read what happened in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday in the discussion on this bill-
Union minister Thavarchand Gehlot, while introducing the discussion, gave the details of the bill.
The main points of his speech:
- Prior to this, the demand for reservation facilities for the unarmed class was brought by bringing private member bill 21 times.
- Mandal Commission also recommended it.
- The Narasimha Rao government had made a provision in 1992 but the Supreme Court rejected the constitution due to non-modification.
- The Commission (Commission to Exit Sub-Catagorization of OBC) worked in this regard from 2004 to 2010 and in 2010 submitted report to the then government.
- The Modi government has prepared a constitution amendment bill on the basis of this commission’s recommendation.
- Quota of proposed reservation will be different from current quota. There is a total of 49.5 percent reservation in the country. 27 percent of the Other Backward Classes, 15 percent for Schedule Castes and 7.5 percent for Scheduled Tribes.
- 15.6 of Article 15 of the Constitution has been added, according to which the State and Government of India can not be prevented from making laws in this regard.
- Accordingly, a financially weaker section has been offered 10 percent reservation in educational institutions.
- A point will be added to the 16 Articles of the Constitution, according to which the State Government and the Central Government can give 10 per cent reservation.
- The proposed 10 percent reservation to the poor upper class will be different from the current 50 percent limit.
Taking part in the discussion, Congress MP K.V. Thomas said:
- This is a hastily taken decision. The government had promised that they would give jobs to the youth of the country. But the five-year term has come to an end and nothing has been done so far.
- When the new dimensions of the job have not been created, then what does it mean to bring this bill?
- According to this bill, the limit of income has been given to eight lakhs, which means 63 thousand rupees per month which is not less in any sense and it is not the land that many people have.
Taking part in the discussion, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said:
- Many governments came and tried but did not try the right way, due to this the legal steps were stopped.
- If we separate the political differences, then we will be able to understand the matter of reservation.
- Historically, there was a difference in the society and the Constitution makers made attempts to equalize on every ground.
- Former Prime Minister Narasimha Rao adopted the path of notification for 10 percent reservation on economic basis. But the court has reserved reservations for a maximum of 50 percent, which is why it was canceled.
- In many other media circles this was mentioned and it was said that this bill would also be canceled. But all these notifications were not based on the constitution, because the idea of reservation was done on the basis of caste. I am convinced that the 50 per cent limit which the Supreme Court has set, was on reservation on the basis of section 16.4 of the Constitution ie reservation on caste basis (SC, ST and OBC).
- It was also stated in the Congress manifesto that the party will go ahead from the current reservation and make efforts to give reservation to the economically backward class. We also did the same thing. Support the whole mind.
Taking part in the discussion, AIADMK party M Tambidurai said:
- Many government schemes already exist for the development of economically backward people. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, schemes for starting business, special schemes for skill development, Deedayal scheme and scholarship scheme are already being run by the government. If you still come by talking about reservation, you will have to admit that your plans have failed and they have not been fully worked.
- The Modi government has promised to bring 15 lakhs in every Indian account, if they fulfill their promise, then no financially backward will be left, in which case the government on which the issue of reservation is being given will change.
- If a person becomes rich after getting a job and his income goes around 10 lakh annually, will you take away his job? Every year the economic situation will change and this can not be the basis for giving economic status reservations.
Shiv Sena has supported the bill. On behalf of the party, Anandrao Adasul said why the government had to take it for four and a half years, while it should have already been brought.
However, he also said that many small industries have been closed due to the ban on the ban and many jobs have been affected. GST has also been affected by traders. We have not been able to increase the jobs in the right way, but we have dropped jobs.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti has also supported the proposed bill.
Taking part in the discussion, Lok Janshakti Party President Ram Vilas Paswan said:
- There are two types of people in the country – one is poor with one’s mind and both poor and both stomachs are poor. The upper caste people are poor in their minds while the dalit is poor with both the mind and the stomach.
- The government has not discriminated on the basis of religion which is a good thing. Since independence, the upper castes have also become poor and it is not wrong to talk about their reservation.
- We talked about 15 percent reservation for upper castes even during our party’s establishment. But the SC, ST got the reservation according to the population.
- We urge that now 60 per cent of the home minister, Rajnath Singh, should now put him in the ninth list so that the matter should not go to court. Also, these reservations are given in the private sector.
- All parties should support this bill.
Participating in the discussion, Bhadrhari Mahatat of BJD said that reservation should be given in education and jobs while raising the poor from above the caste base. But it is also true that the person’s economic level will change over time and information should also be given about it in the bill.
He has supported this bill on behalf of his party.
CPI-M’s Jitendra Chaudhary said that this bill does not have any objection to his party but the time to present it is not correct. It has been brought at the last moment.
They said that such bills have been brought before but they have been discussed, but NDA has introduced the bill in a hurry.